Jandro Abot, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Materials Science and Engineering
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
Director, Intelligent Materials Lab
- 6-year degree in Structural Engineering, University of the Republic (Uruguay), 1993
- M.S. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1998
- Ph. D. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2001
Prof. Abot teaches science and engineering courses to most of the engineering students at Catholic and he is the recipient of the Kaman Best Teacher Award in the School of Engineering. Prof. Abot's research group is engaged in mechanics, materials engineering, fabrication, thermal and electromechanical characterization of composite materials and their structural health monitoring using carbon nanotube-based sensors. He has published more than 80 refereed articles on composite materials and a wide variety of topics. These publications have been cited about eight hundred times and the corresponding h-factor is twelve. Prof. Abot also serves the school in many academic areas including mentoring, recruitment, inclusion and international programs.
- Abot, J. L., Raghavan, V., Li, G. and Thomas, E. L. “Effect of interface, height and density of tall carbon nanotube arrays on their thermal conductivity: an experimental study”. J. Nanosci. Nanotechno. 11 (1): 1-10 (2011).
- Abot, J. L., Schulz, M. J., Song, Y., Medikonda, S. and Rooy, N. “Novel distributed strain sensing in polymeric materials”. Smart Mater. Struct. 19(8):085007 (2010).
- Song, Y. and Abot, J. L. “On the mechanical response of carbon nanotube array laminated composite materials”. J. Reinf. Plast. Comp. 29 (22): 3401-3410 (2010).
Abot, J. L., Bardin, G., Raghavan, V., Govindaraju, N., Spriegel, C. and Song, Y. “Thermal conductivity of carbon nanotube array laminated composite materials”. J. Compos. Mater. 45 (3): 321-340 (2011).
Jayasinghe, C., Li, W., Abot, J. L., Song, Y., Shanov, V. N., Fialkova, S., Yarmolenko, S., Sundaramurthy, S., Chen, Y., Cho, W., Chakrabarti, S., Li, G., Yun, Y. and Schulz, M. J. “Nanotube responsive materials”. MRS Bull. 35(9): 682-692 (2010).
- Abot, J. L., Song, Y., Sri Vatsavaya, M., Medikonda, S., Kier, Z., Jayasinghe,C., Rooy, N., Shanov, V. N. and Schulz, M. J. “Delamination detection with carbon nanotube thread in self-sensing composite materials”. Compos. Sci. Technol. 70 (7): 1113-1119 (2010).
Evora, M. C., Klosterman, D., Lafdi, K., Li, L. and Abot, J. L. “Functionalization of carbon nanofibers through electron beam irradiation”. Carbon 48 (7): 2037-2046 (2010).
- Kulkarni, M., Carnahan, D., Kulkarni, K., Qian, D. and Abot, J. L. “Elastic response of a carbon nanotube reinforced fiber polymeric composite: a numerical and experimental study”. Compos. Part B-Eng. 41 (5): 414-421 (2010).