Binh Q. Tran, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 1990
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, San Diego State University, 1995
Ph.D., Biomedical Engineering, University of Iowa, 1998
Dr. Tran’s research and academic interests pertain to the areas of telehealth/telemedicine and applications of health information technologies, biomedical instrumentation, biomedical imaging, and cardio-pulmonary biomechanics. He is the director of the HomeCare & Telerehabilitation Technology Center, whose focus is to develop innovative solutions for health care service delivery at a distance to people with disabilities and those living with chronic illnesses. Dr. Tran has received national recognition for his research and teaching.
- Tran, B.Q. and E.A. Hoffman, "Computational model of the effects of breathing on cardiac function." Book chapter in: Frontiers in Modeling and Control of Breathing: Integration at Molecular, Cellular, and Systems Levels; Eds C.S. Poon and H. Kazemi, 2001.
- J. K. Tajik, D. Chon, C. Won, B.Q. Tran, and E.A. Hoffman, Sub-second multislice x-ray CT imaging of regional pulmonary ventilation. Academic Radiology, Vol 9 (2), pp. 130-146, 2002. (Herbert M. Stauffer Award, Outstanding Basic Science Paper).
- B.Q. Tran, "Technologies to facilitate health and independent living in elderly populations," In: Gerotechnology: Research and Practice in Technology and Aging; Eds. S. Kwon and D.C. Burdick, Springer-Verlag, New York: Springer Publishing Co, 2004.
- K. Buckley, B. Tran, and C. Prandoni, "Receptiveness, Use and Acceptance of Telehealth by Caregivers of Stroke Patients in the Home" Online Journal of Issues in Nursing. Vol. #9 No. #3, 2004.
- K.M.Buckley, B.Q.Tran, L.K. Adelson, J.G.Agazio, L. Halstead, "Use of digital images in evaluating homecare nurses’ knowledge of wound assessment." J. WOCN, Sept/Oct 2005. (WOCN Research Manuscript Award).
- Tran, B.Q., Buckley, K.M., Bertera, E., Wuertz, E., "Clinical eStorefront: Applications of Tele-monitoring for disease self-management in low-income seniors," Southern Biomedical Engineering Conference, Washington DC, 2007.
- E.M. Bertera, B.Q. Tran, E.M. Wuertz, A. Bonner, "A study of the receptivity to telecare technology in a community-based elderly minority population." J. Telemedicine and Telecare, 13:327-332, 2007.
- K. Buckley, B. Tran, J. Agazio, E. Wuertz, "A community-based telehealth programme for elderly low-income African-Americans." J. Info Tech in Healthcare, 6(6): 400-412, 2008.